DIY Copper Bud Vase


One of my favorite sources for DIY inspiration is the hardware store. I love wandering up and down the aisles and finding interesting looking materials. For my birthday last month, my mom watched Merle so I could have alone time, which included a trip to Home Depot. I spent an embarrassing amount of time there, but I came out with a haul of new supplies.

The first of the resulting projects involves copper plumbing pipes. Copper plumbing is surprisingly inexpensive and comes in a variety of shapes and sizes. I wanted to grab one of everything but settled on a female adapter and a stub. The stub is a close ended pipe and the female adapter has a wider bottom with a threaded top. Together they make a beautiful bud vase. For transportability, I chose not to secure the two pieces together. As a bud vase, I'm not concerned with it tipping over or coming apart. If a permanent attachment is desired, the pieces could be welded or glued together. 

The finished project looks a lot more expensive than the $5 I spent on supplies. I started out with a single vase, but I could see several lined up on a table for a dinner party or wedding reception. The stubs come in different heights, which would add visual interest to a grouping, as well as using a combination of flowers, greenery, and branches. Narrow taper candles would also work (although I suggest securing the stub and joint for those ones). I filled mine with pretty weeds from the yard :)

Do you have any unconventional sources of inspiration? Are you also a hardware store fan?








No comments:

Post a Comment