5 Favorite Natural Beauty Buys


My favorite five natural beauty buys of the moment are...


Thayer’s Rose Petal Witch Hazel
In high school and in college, toners weren’t my thing. They dried out my skin and left it feeling irritated for days. That is until I found Thayer’s Rose Petal Witch Hazel. It’s a naturally derived mixture of witch hazel, rose water, and aloe vera and it makes my skin both look and feel great. I use it nightly to clean off any lingering remnants of makeup, tighten my skin, and sanitize pimple prone areas.

If we’ve talked about beauty products lately, chances are good I’ve told you about my new found love for Aztec Healing Clay. Every Saturday night I draw a bath with lavender bath salts (DIY recipe here) and apply a mask of the powdered clay mixed with apple cider vinegar. The mask draws out impurities clogging pores and noticeably softens skin. I leave it on for about fifteen minutes and can feel a subtle pulsing sensation as the mud dries. It takes some work to get the mask off, but uncovering the glowing skin underneath is worth it. The mask leaves my face slightly red afterward for about a half hour, so I suggest leaving this treatment for night time only. I also use it when soaking my feet to soften callouses. 
This is the only “juju” product on the list. I call things “juju” that claim to have ancient health benefits with only pseudo-science proof that they work. How did I come up with that word? No idea, but I’ve been using it for years. I read about the detoxing powers of skin brushing on goop and decided to give it a whirl. I can’t say for sure it works, but I DO feel genuinely better when I use it. It definitely exfoliates my body and when the subtle abrasiveness of the bristles scratches my skin, I feel lymph nodes draining (if such a thing is possible). Regular brushing also helped clear up some skin dimpling (aka budding cellulite) on my upper thighs. I use this inexpensive skin brush from Thrive Market. 

It’s pretty terrifying to read the ingredients list on many pimple creams and I’ve had my fair share of chemical burns from products that leave a lasting scar worse than the original zit. Burt’s Bees Herbal Blemish Stick is a combination of willow bark and tea tree oil that naturally sanitizes and minimizes the appearance of pimples. The effect isn’t instantaneous, but within a few days, it clears up pimples without leaving any red marks behind. The liquid is packaged in a convenient glass roller ball container (which I like to reuse), so it’s easy to apply without covering your fingers with goop. One thing to note with a roller ball is that it should be applied to clean skin. Make up and dead skin cells can get inside the container if applied to dirty skin (yuck!).

Lemon Water 
The purported benefits of drinking warm lemon water are nearly endless according to Dr.Google. While some of the benefits are exaggerated, there are real benefits of note. One - The warm water helps kick start digestion in the morning. Two - The antioxidant d-limonene present in the lemon rind helps activate enzymes in the liver that deactivate 'harmful' substances in the body (caffeine, medications, etc). Three - The vitamin C present in the lemon boosts mineral absorption from food eaten throughout the day and aids in the production of collagen for healthier skin. Anecdotally I find that on days I drink warm lemon water, I have increased energy levels and brighter skin with fewer blemishes. 


1 comment:

  1. That clay looks awesome! I've been wanting to get some for detoxing purposes, looks like that might be a good buy for a beauty version though.

    ReplyDelete