Umami Corn Soup


I stumbled across this recipe for miso corn soup several months ago while researching chowder soups. It has been a mainstay in my meal rotation ever since. The soup manages to be simultaneously hearty and light, simple and complex, and oh so very delicious. When I'm feeling sick or want a dish that warms me from the inside out, this soup is my first choice. It's amazing that only five ingredients (corn, silken tofu, vegetable broth, miso, and onions) create such a strong umami flavor. The original recipe requires no cooking, at all (minus the tofu croutons) but I prefer to cook the soup and use an immersion blender. It requires extra steps and extra dishes, but I think the results are worth it. 


Umami Corn Soup
Serves 4 

24oz frozen corn kernels, thawed
16oz silken tofu (one package)
1 onion, diced
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 cups water
1 cup broth
2 Tbsp to 1/4 cup white miso paste, depending on taste preference

Optional garnish
Black pepper
Red chili flakes
Ricotta cheese

In a soup pot over medium heat, soften the diced onion in olive oil for two to three minutes. Add in the tofu, corn, water, and vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in the miso. Use an immersion blender to give the soup a smooth, velvety consistency. Serve while hot. Garnish with a dollop of ricotta cheese and pepper if desired. 







No comments:

Post a Comment