A Not-Too-Sweet Pumpkin Spice Latte


In theory I love everything about pumpkin spice lattes: pumpkin, pumpkin spice, milk, and espresso. In execution there are very few I enjoy, because most PSLs end up being sugar bombs. I craft my own at home so I can control the sugar content and the cost. It's relatively easy to make foamed drinks like lattes and cappuccino by using a Magic Bullet or other personal sized blender. The ingredients are all basic, just like the drink itself and the people who love it, including me :) My recipe contains no added sugar, but feel free to add in sugar (or maple syrup!) to achieve your taste preferences.

Pumpkin Spice Latte
Serves 1

3 Tbsp puréed pumpkin
1/8 tsp ground ginger
1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
4 oz espresso or strong coffee*
8 oz milk of choice (I used soy milk)

Microwave or heat up the milk on the stove just before the boiling point. Add the milk and all of the remaining ingredients into a small blender (such as the Magic Bullet). Pulse several times until the milk is frothy. Pour into a mug and enjoy. 


* A couple of coffee/espresso brewing options for individual portions: 

1. Use the smallest cup setting on a Keurig which has the highest grounds to water ratio. 

2. Use a French press (I use this one). Combine 1 Tbsp coffee grounds with 4oz water and let steep 4 to 5 minutes.  

3. Use a stove top espresso maker with 2 Tbsp coffee or 1-1.5 Tbsp espresso grounds.







No comments:

Post a Comment