Thrive Market Review



For regular groceries, I swear by FreshDirect. I could write poems about how much I love their service and how it makes my life easier. If you've ever begrudgingly talked about needing to go grocery shopping with me before, chances are good I've given you my FreshDirect pitch (read my initial review from 2012 here). The highlights are convenience (ordering groceries in the app while walking home and having them delivered the next day), affordability (only a $30 minimum and prices are less than local grocery stores), and freshness (DEFINITELY fresher than local grocery stores). I religiously use FreshDirect once a week to order groceries, but when I heard about Thrive Market I was intrigued. 

What is Thrive Market? They sell natural, organic, and eco-friendly dry goods at whole sale prices without needing to buy in bulk. Most items range from 20 to 40 percent off retail prices. There is an annual membership fee, but at roughly $60 per year ($5 per month), it is reasonably priced. Right now they are running a promotion for a free one month trial membership and I decided to give it a try. Here's my take on the service. 



Pros

-There was an excellent assortment of products, including many items I buy regularly like buckwheat pancake mix, vegan protein powder, chia seeds, and flax seeds. They also have non-food items that stick within the natural/eco-friendly vein such as body care items, vitamins, diapers, pet supplies, cleaners, and the list goes on. 

-The prices were great. Many of the items I chose were 40 percent off of what I normally pay. I spent around $60 for $170 worth of goods. It truly did make healthy food more accessible. 

-Because of the assortment and pricing, I was able to try out new health food trends that I had not yet tried due to excessively high prices elsewhere (specifically maca root and vegan jerky in my first order).  

-Through Thrive Market's recipes and by browsing categories, I was able to discover new brands and products. 

-Searching for food is made easier by diet specific filters like vegan and paleo. 

-Not that this is on top of the priority list, but the well designed packaging gets two thumbs up. 




Free samples too!


Cons

-I cringe saying this after reading what it's like to work at Amazon, but it was annoying to wait a week for the package from Thrive Market to arrive. 

-Speaking of shipping, you have to pay for it if you're order is under $49.

-The site has some challenges with mobile. Pages load slowly (clunky code) and I kept encountering odd errors. For example, I would be prompted for my password after several minutes of browsing the site and my shopping cart would periodically empty for no apparent reason. 

Overall it's a service I want to use again. As a shopper, my personal priorities are one, price; two, organic/eco friendly assortment; and three, convenience, in that order. Thrive Market earns high marks for the first two categories and so-so results for the third. With the free trial going on now, I highly recommend giving it a try to see if it meets your needs. It's a no risk way to stock up on healthy foods and products for the whole family at the start of the school year. Use this link for 25 percent off your first order

No comments:

Post a Comment