Protein Crunch Yogurt Topping


As a vegetarian, I'm always looking for new ways to add more protein to meals. Breakfast can be one of the trickest meals to get protein in without eating eggs. I typically go for oatmeal, buckwheat pancakes, a protein shake with fruit and greens, or greek yogurt with granola. They all have some protein content, but barely break double digits. After running out of granola, I tossed together some of my Thrive Market finds as a substitute and it tasted so good, I've been recreating it again and again. After calculating out the protein content, a whopping 27 grams, this crunchy topping has a permanent place in my breakfast rotation. With the brand of greek yogurt I typically buy (Fage Total if you're curious), the total protein content of the meal is fifty grams (!!). Also included in this nutritional powerhouse is almost 40 percent the daily value of iron, 75 percent the daily value of magnesium, nine grams of omega-3s, and plenty of fiber. Bonus points for requiring next to no effort to make and being easy to transport. I LOVE the taste of this as is, but if you like things sweeter, add more dried fruit or if you want more salt, add more sunflower seeds. I could also see this mixture being combined with a nut butter and mashed dates for energy bites.


Protein Crunch
Serves 1

1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
1 Tbsp chia seeds
3 Tbsp hemp seeds
2 Tbsp flaxseeds
1 Tbsp roasted and salted sunflower kernels
2 Tbsp dried fruit (I used a combination of raisins, cranberries, and apples)

For serving
7 oz greek yogurt

Combine all the ingredients. Pour over yogurt while eating.








No comments:

Post a Comment