Natural Beauty

BioDara Luminous Cleansing Oil / SW Basics Cleanser / Burt's Bees Soap Bark & Chamomile Deep Cleansing Cream
One Love Organics Bamboo Charcoal Cleansing Sponge / Burt's Bees Herbal Blemish Stick
BioDara Creme de Clay Purifying Mask

Ever since I become pregnant with Merle four years ago, my skin has been on the fritz. Unsightly pimples, dry patches, and oil slicks all made a regular appearance on my face (plus a few wrinkles, ugh). Now that I'm no longer breastfeeding, my new year's resolution was to get my skin under control. I took a hard look at the beauty products I use and their ingredients, as well as my diet and environmental factors. Then there were months of trial and error with new products and seeing what worked and what didn't. What I found was that harsh products I was using in an effort to improve my skin were actually making my skin worse. Patches of skin that previously had no pimples were being dried out by the acne cleanser. The dryness was signaling my skin to produce more oil. Then the combination of dry flaky skin cells and oil was a recipe for more pimples. Top that with hormonal acne the week before periods and I was ready to hide my skin.


Because attacking my skin wasn't working, I stepped back and rethought my beauty routine, deciding to put care back into skincare. I now use a combination of "traditional" products and nourishing plant based products. Plant based skincare products? Yes! It's remarkable how well they work. Skin is the largest organ of the body and it makes sense that it responds best to high quality, natural products just like the rest of the body. Some of my favorite natural skincare products are pictured above. I also use some Mario Badescue products (my review here and here), which aren't plant based, but do manage to be kind to my skin. Another big contributor to the improvement has been monitoring what goes into my body more closely. The three internal factors that have helped are:

1. Eating more fresh fruits and vegetables
2. Drinking more water
3. Eating more healthy fats (like avocado and flax seeds)
4. Adding a daily biotin (also known as Vitamin H and Vitamin B7) supplement

Biotin, like all B vitamins, helps the body turn food into energy. Specifically it impacts fat processing. Fat on the surface of the skin is essential to creating a barrier to block environmental damage. More information on biotin is available here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment