Best Faux Meat Products


As I lamented a few weeks ago, store bought faux meat products tend to be flavorless, expensive, and sometimes plain inedible. I prefer to make my own burgers (seen here and here), wheat meat (seen here and here), bacon and chicken flavored tofu. Occasionally I don't have time to make them myself, so I purchase the pre-made version. After a lot of trial and error, I've found a handful of reliably tasty options.


Faux Chicken Fingers: Gardein Seven Grain Crispy Tenders

The breading on these is soooo good. If you've ever eaten at HipCityVeg, these taste identical to their chicken fingers. Salty, slightly crispy, and chewy, these are one of my favorite naughty foods. The nutritional information listed on the front of the package listed above is for two chicken fingers.


Meaty Tofu: Nasoya TofuBaked Teriyaki

It's painful to overpay this much for something I could make at home for less than half the cost BUT it tastes good and is the perfect grab-and-go protein topping for salads and sandwiches.


Veggie Burger: Dr. Praeger's California Burger

Veggies are the star of this burger, creating a harmonious symphony of flavor. I also appreciate that it doesn't have the weird, overly chewy texture like most faux meat burgers.


Meatballs: Gardein Meatless Meatballs

Do you like fennel? I generally don't, but the fennel in these meatballs adds so much depth of flavor. They are by far my favorite meatless meatball I've ever eaten. I use these in all the traditional ways (with spaghetti, in a sub) and by themselves for a mid-day protein filled snack.


If you're really short on time and in the Philadelphia area, check out my list of the best vegan options in University City

No comments:

Post a Comment