Cucumber Salad


Summer is the season of salads: pasta salad, potato salad, macaroni salad, and the list goes on. I have to admit I'm very particular about my -salads, so I generally don't eat them at cookouts. Don't get me wrong, I love a good coleslaw, potato salad, or pasta salad when freshly made, but I find most versions, especially the store bought kind, have a uniformly overwhelming taste of eggs (which I despise). I prefer them to have a punchy vinegar flavor with crisp veggies. One of my favorite salads that checks all the boxes is German cucumber salad (gurkensalat). Instead of using mayonnaise to provide a creamy base, it uses greek yogurt which is both healthier (less fat, more protein) and better tasting.
The salad also features vinegar, lemon juice, raw onions, and dill to lend a bright, fresh flavor. It is definitely not soggy, bland salad! I prefer to eat it right after making, but it keeps well in the fridge for a few days. This weekend I paired it with miso BBQ tofu and watermelon and it was the perfect complement to the smoky and sweet flavors.

What are your favorite salads for BBQs and cookouts? Perhaps even more importantly, what do you call such events: cookout, BBQ, or grill?


Cucumber Salad
Serves 4-6

2 cucumbers, peeled and sliced into 1/4" thickness, then cut in half
1/2 - 1 white onion diced or sliced*
4 Tbsp fresh dill, roughly chopped + additional for garnish
1 Tbsp lemon juice
2 Tbsp vinegar
1/2 tsp garlic powder
7 oz plain greek yogurt (The full fat Fage Total is my favorite)
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tomatoes, diced (optional)

Stir to combine all of the ingredients except the tomato. Add the tomato, if using, into each serving bowl.


*To dial down the raw onion flavor, only use half an onion and dice it. For full effect, use one onion and cut it into slices. 


Variations

-Add dill pickles and capers for even more tartness
-Use a mandolin to create paper thin slices of cucumber and onion
-Swap the cucumbers for another vegetable






No comments:

Post a Comment