Crock Pot Black Beans


Black beans are a staple for me. They are an inexpensive source of protein with a flavor the entire family loves. I prefer to buy dried beans so I can control flavor and further reduce cost (the total cost is about $0.33 per serving). There are instructions on the back of the package for cooking the beans in an hour or two on the stovetop, but that method never works for me. Instead I use my trusty Crock Pot to do all the work and come home to a flavorful beans that can be eaten on their own or used in a variety of dishes. Black beans are in heavy rotation at our house in the form of burrito bowls, salads, dips (whole and pureed), and burgers. Lately this is the recipe I've been using and it is a winner every time.


Slow Cooker Black Beans

8 oz dried black beans
1/4 cup soy sauce or liquid amino acids
1 Tbsp seasame oil
1 Tbsp maple syrup
5 cups water

Combine all ingredients in the slow cooker. Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.







1 comment:

  1. This sounds SO good! I am definitely going to try this!

    ReplyDelete