Best On The Go Pre and Post Workout Snacks



I'll start with a disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist. The list below is based on my personal experiences. Every body has similar basic nutritional needs, but i believe every body also has it's own unique needs. For me, I feel best when I consume excess amounts of B-vitamins and healthy fats, like omega-3s and omega-6s. An adequate amount of protein post-workout is also key for me to not feel sluggish. Those are the nutritional essentials for me when talking about workout food, but the other must-have is convenience. When I workout, it is typically before work and I go straight from work to the gym. I need a pick me snack when I first wake up and it needs to be eaten in a few bites or be something I can eat while walking to the gym. Post-workout food needs to be able to be tossed into a work out bag while I'm running out the door and require very little prep so I can eat it at the office. While I love a fruit packed smoothie, I'm not lugging the Magic Bullet to my office and forcing my co-workers to hear the noise. I also don't have an extra $7 a day to buy the smoothies from the gym. It seems like I'm not the only one who has faced said challenges, so I'm rounding up my favorite on the go pre and post-workout snacks. 






Pre-Workout

1. Dark chocolate covered expresso beans: With a boost of caffeine, antioxidants, and flavonoids, these are my go-to pre-workout snack. I grab a handful from the fridge just as I'm about to run out the door in the morning.

2. Banana: Rich in potassium and B vitamins, bananas help energize and keep me feeling full pre and post workout.

3. Soy milk: The protein and creamy deliciousness of a few swigs of soy milk gets me going on mornings when my sleepy body doesn't feel like eating.  

4. Toast with almond butter: The combination of carbs, protein, and a bit of natural sweetness makes this a classic breakfast for any day, but on mornings where I'm feeling extra hungry, toast with almond butter leaves me feeling full without being stuffed.

5. Salted whole wheat crackers: I have low blood pressure, so on mornings when I'm feeling less than stellar, a simple carb and salt filled snack helps propel me to the gym.




Post-Workout

1. Jarrow Plant Protein Powder: The whey in traditional protein powders irritates my stomach, so I prefer to go with plant based proteins. Jarrow is my favorite brand because it doesn't have any obscure (read: suspicious) filler ingredients some other brands of plant based protein powders have and contains a blend of pea, rice, and hemp proteins, as well as chia seed and chlorella. I skip the blender and slowly whisk (with a disposable fork or knife) with water or coconut milk (for extra B vitamins). Check out the nutrition profile below. 




2. Banana with sunflower seed butter: For the same reasons this is a great pre-workout snack, bananas are a great post workout snack. I add cashew or almond butter for added fat and protein. 

3. Gardein Veggie Meatballs with or without sauce: I'm generally not a fan of pre-packaged faux meat products, but sometimes convenience wins. These meatballs are ridiculously tasty and have as much protein as protein powder.  Microwave 4 meatballs on high for at least 3 minutes and cover with a damp paper towel if using sauce. 



4. Oatmeal with flaxseeds and blueberries: With protein, carbs, healthy fats, vitamins, and a hint of sugar, oatmeal with flaxseeds and blueberries checks all the post work nutritional boxes. I pack it the night before dry (in these containers) and add water and microwave it at the office.

5. Cottage cheese and grapefruit segments: On days when my body doesn't hate dairy, I like the creamy, fatty, protein-rich goodness of cottage cheese. Grapefruit adds a healthy dose of vitamin C and sugar to help my body process the protein.

No comments:

Post a Comment