Asian BBQ Tofu


For whatever reason, I've been desperately craving BBQ sauce lately. I'm not typically a BBQ sauce person, because I prefer plain old hot sauce if I'm using a condiment to flavor food. After doing a lot of label reading at the grocery store (I didn't want high fructose corn syrup or any other suspicious ingredients), I found a bottle of BBQ sauce I was satisfied and brought it home thinking my craving would evaporate with one dip into the sauce. It wasn't. The smoky, sweet was good, but it didn't have quite as much depth of flavor as my taste buds wanted. Then it hit me. What the BBQ sauce really needed, in the view of my taste buds, was an infusion of Asian flavors. Boy were they right! One bite of this tofu with BBQ sauce, sesame oil, and miso will have taste buds singing. The umami flavor of the miso strengthens the smokiness of the sauce while the sea same oil helps balance out the sweetness. The end product is almost like teriyaki wings, except a bit healthier. Because the flavor is so strong (it's like a ninja fight in your mouth), this tofu is best served with a starchy side, like rice or plain steamed veggies. I opted for steamed broccoli and smashed potatoes (leftover mini boiled potatoes smashed with a fork and toasted on the stove with butter, salt, and a garlic clove). Dinner was so delicious! This is one recipe I plan on making again and again, especially with spring and summer cookouts on the horizon. 


Asian BBQ Tofu
Serves 3

1 tsp sesame oil
3 Tbsp miso
1/2 cup BBQ sauce
1 Tbsp olive oil 
16 oz extra firm tofu, cut into slabs
3 Tbsp sesame seeds

Preheat the oven to 400 degree Fahrenheit. Grease a baking sheet with the olive oil. In a small bowl, stir together the sesame oil, miso, 2 Tbsp sea same seeds and 1/4 cup BBQ sauce to form a paste. Coat each piece if tofu with the paste. Bake for 10 minutes. Coat the tofu in the remaining 1/4 BBQ sauce and continue baking for another 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and sprinkle on the remaining tablespoon of sesame seeds. Serve warm. 










No comments:

Post a Comment