Vegan Hot Pockets


This recipe started out by necessity. When I first became obsessed with the convenience of chopped bagged salad, I started buying Amy's Pocket Sandwiches to add more calories to my quick and easy lunches. The problem was they were a bit pricey, ranging from three to four dollars each. I didn't mind splurging when I was rushed and desperate, but paying for one daily wasn't feasible. I still needed quick fixes for lunch though, so I decided to create my own version. After a little Pintrest research, I realized the process would be even more simple than I thought. The Kitchn had a great recipe for the dough, which I used as a base for the filling my taste buds were seeking. This recipe ends up being a cross between a hot pocket and a portable pot pie. I had almost all of the ingredients on hand, so it cost me less than the expense of one Amy's Pocket Sandwiches to make twelve larger homemade ones. Success! My freezer is now stocked and I look forward to trying out more flavorful filling options.

Vegan Hot Pockets
Makes 12

For the filling

5 carrots, roughly chopped
3 celery stalks, roughly chopped 
1 large onion, diced
2 cups cubed butternut squash
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp butter ( or Earth Balance)
1 1/2 Tbsp whole wheat flour
2 cups vegetable broth
1 14oz package of extra firm tofu, cubed
2 tsp poultry seasoning
1 tsp dried thyme
1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
Salt and pepper to taste

For the dough

2 cups warm water
4 tsp active dry yeast
3 cups whole wheat flour
3 cups all purpose flour
3 tsp salt
5 Tbsp olive oil, divided

Start by making the dough using this recipe and doubling it. The dough takes a couple of hours to rise, so do this step in advance. 

Over medium heat, cook the vegetables with the olive oil in a stockpot until they just begin to soften . Move the veggies to one side of the pot. On the cleared portion, melt the butter and stir in the flour. Continue cooking for one minute. Slowly pour in the vegetable broth while stirring. Add in the tofu and spices. Continue cooking for three to five minutes until the veggies reach the desired level of tenderness. Set aside. 

Divide the dough into twelve roughly equal sized rounds. Roll each dough ball out into an oval, roughly eight to nine inches long by five inches wide. 

Using a slotted spoon, add approximately a half cup of filling to the center of each dough round. Fold the dough over the filling and crimp the edges. Cut a few vent holes in the top of the dough pocket. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Allow the hot pockets/hand pies/travel pot pies to cool completely before refrigerating and/or freezing. 







No comments:

Post a Comment