A Green Valentine's Day Lunch



I may not be excited for Valentine's Day this year, but Merle is certainly getting into it. We spent a couple of hours this weekend making crafts associated with the holiday and to keep Merle excited, I made her a special valentine lunch. The focal point of the lunch was a frog prince sandwich. I baked a loaf of bread that was tinted green with food coloring and used this fun food cutter set to create the frog face. The sandwich filling was green too! Combining Neufchatel cheese, thinly sliced baby spinach, green onions, and cucumbers, the filling had plenty of veggies and stuck with the color scheme. Since it is the holiday of love, I included Cupid's arrows made from diagonally sliced grape tomatoes, cheddar cheese, and a couple of toothpicks. Pink and red silicone hearts filled with strawberries and blueberries rounded out the meal. Merle loved it and immediately dug in while Mommy tried to take pictures :) I taste tested the sandwich and it was so delicious, I had to share the recipe. Merle is a pretty good eater when it comes to fruits and veggies, but I think even toddlers with an aversion to all things green would like this sandwich. Grown ups too!



Green Sandwich Spread
Serves 1 toddler

2 Tbsp Neufchatel cheese (or cream cheese)
1 large handful of baby spinach (about 1 cup), julienned
1 Tbsp green onion, thinly sliced
Splash of milk

Add all ingredients to a small bowl and mash with a spoon until evenly combined. For adults, add a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Spread on to sandwich bread and top with cucumber slices.


Merle likes to read to me while I cook




The crown didn't go on until the frog was already partially eaten 



4 comments:

  1. What an adorable plate! They say don't play with your food, but I think you can in this case.

    http://www.racheldinh.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel! I definitely think that's the case here. Playing with food is one of our favorite ways to play :D

      Delete
  2. Love it! Very fun/cute idea for little (or not so little) ones!

    x Sarah
    http://www.bohochiccafe.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked it just as much as she did! Who says grown-ups can't have fun with their food too :)

      Delete