Basic Bruschetta


Carbs carbs carbs. I like to think I'm generally a healthy eater, but I have a hard time saying no carbs. Bread, pasta, and potatoes: I love them all. Giving those up is one resolution I can't ever see myself making. One of my favorite ways to indulge my carb habit is bruschetta. With a light topping of veggies, typically in the form of tomatoes, bruschetta makes me feel like I'm eating healthy even when I'm not. I switch up the topping from time to time, but this is my basic bruschetta recipe. The edges and underside of the bread are crispy while the interior is moist and rich in flavor. It's perfect for a weekend breakfast, an afternoon snack, or as an appetizer with dinner. 

Basic Bruschetta
Serves 1

1 slice bread (my favorite is sourdough)
2-3 cherry tomatoes, sliced in half 
1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp Parmesan cheese
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
Salt and pepper to taste

On aluminum foil, lay down the bread and top with the cherry tomatoes, cut side down. Drizzle on the olive oil and spices. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Toast in a toaster oven. Alternatively, bake in a 400 degree oven for three to five minutes or until the tomato skin begins to blister and the cheese melts. Serve warm. 



No comments:

Post a Comment