Top 20 Holiday Movies


By now you know I'm obsessed with Christmas. I love all the family time, the lights, the infectious energy, the cold weather, gift giving, and the list goes on. It is such a magical time of the year. Throughout the year, whenever I'm feeling down, I watch a Christmas movie or listen to Christmas music for an instant pick-me-up. Needless to say I have quite a long list of favorites when it comes to holiday viewing. Here are my top twenty favorite Christmas movies, in no particular order.


1. National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation - For the past decade or so, we've watched Christmas Vacation while we decorate our tree. You'll catch my mom and I quoting it all year long. "Shitter's full!"

2. It's A Wonderful Life - No matter how tough life gets, this movie always reminds me that it is indeed a wonderful life. 

3. White Christmas - Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye. That says it all.

4. The Santa Claus - I remember staying up late every year to watch this movie when it came on ABC as a holiday special. Growing up with divorced parents, this movie gave me hope that maybe someday my parents would get along or more likely one parent could become Santa. Plus I'm a sucker for anything with Tim Allen in it.

5. Frosty Returns - Originally a made for tv special, Frosty Returns is one of my all time favorite movies. It provides instant warm and fuzzies with a reminder that it's ok not to be one of the cool kids.

6. Santa Claus Is Coming to Town - This classic movie tells the story of Santa Claus before he became the legend he is today.

7. Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer - Happy 50th birthday to Rudolph! It is a well loved classic for a reason. It has quickly become Merle's favorite movie with her favorite character being the abominable snow monster.

8. Christmas Eve on Sesame Street - I continue to prefer the 1990s version I grew up with in comparison to the newer holiday specials. It's also the first time I heard Feliz Navidad. As a kid, I thought I was so cool knowing a Spanish phrase.

9. Home Alone - What kid hasn't dreamed of living out this movie? 

10. Miracle on 34th Street - Because even at age 24 I want to believe Santa is real

11. How the Grinch Stole Christmas (Jim Carey's version) - This is probably the only case where the live version is better than the animated one. 

12. How the Grinch Stole Christmas (animated original) - I still love the original one too though.


13. Frosty The Snowman - I prefer Frosty Returns, but there's enough room in my cold heart for two snowmen ;)

14. The Muppet Christmas Carol - There have been plenty of video renditions of Dickens's tale, but I love the muppets one best. I think the actor who plays Scrooge nails it.

15. A Charlie Brown Christmas - Even the limpest trees deserve love.

16. Jack Frost - At times sad, at times terrifying, but ultimately the story of a father's timeless love is heart warming.

17. I'll Be Home For Christmas - Growing up in the nineties, everyone had a thing for Johnathan Taylor Thomas. This is one of his movies I'll willingly watch again and again.

18. Eight Crazy Nights - While it may be a little too offensive at times, I get a kick out of this movie. It's PG-13, so definitely not a movie for kiddos.

19. Love Actually - There's not much to say and too much to say. Loose threads unwind and reform to create loving happy relationships. Everyone wins.

20. The Polar Express - Tom Hanks. A train. Discovering the holiday spirit. It has all the ingredients for an exciting cinematic tale. 

No comments:

Post a Comment