Microwave Pizza


It's just one of those weeks. We all have them. Merle's sick, I'm PMSing, and there hasn't been down time to think, let alone write. Tonight after a cooking exploration failed, I needed to throw together dinner quickly before bedtime. I leaned on a tried and true recipe from my dorm room days: microwave pizza. Yes, I'm usually a healthy eater, Merle even more so, but sometimes desperation wins out. I made pizza this way fairly often in college and while it is by no means health food, it is healthier than the standard frozen pizza. Thanks to the addition of veggies and cottage cheese, this pizza has added vitamins (varies depending on veggie choices) and more than 20 grams of protein. Plus it is both toddler approved and college student approved, though I doubt a college student would be using an Elmo plate :D




Microwave Pizza
Serves 1

1/2 whole wheat bagel
1/2 cup cottage cheese
2 Tbsp shredded cheddar
1/3 cup organic tomato sauce
1/3 cup organic veggies, minced (I like to use a mixture of bell peppers, mushrooms, and broccoli)

Place the bagel on a microwave safe plate and defrost in the microwave if necessary (15 seconds is usually enough). Spread on the tomato sauce and top with the minced veggies. Layer on the cottage cheese and then the shredded cheese. Microwave for 30 seconds to one minute until the pizza is adequately warmed and the cheese is melted.

The veggies included can be adapted based on what's in season/what's in the fridge. I would also sometimes add the minced veggies plus a handful of baby spinach. This manages to taste like the traditional gooey pizza no matter how many veggies you put in. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment