Chunky Beef Stew


This one goes out to the meat eaters. I continue to eat a predominately vegetarian diet, but I often cook meat for Merle and X. In my lifetime, I've watched enough Food Network and read enough cook books and blogs to have a decent grasp on what certain meats taste like even though I don't know the experience firsthand. But honestly while I was making this stew, I didn't know how it was going to turn out. I made a big pot of it before bed and popped it in the fridge for Merle's lunches the rest of the week. With anticipation building, I was delighted when today while eating it lunch, Merle reportedly said, "This is the best soup my mommy has ever made!" which obviously melted my heart :) X also had some and loved it, so I thought it was a recipe worth sharing.


Chunky Beef Stew
Serves 2 as an enttree, 4 as a side

1 lb angus round beef, cut into large cubes (roughly 2" x 2")
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 onion, diced
4 carrots, diced
2 cups vegetable broth
1 1/2 cup water
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp oultry seasoning
1 tsp dried rosemary
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

Heat a heavy bottomed pot (like this enameled cast iron stockpot) over medium high heat. Once the pot is hot, add in a beef and olive oil. Sear the beef on each side for a couple minutes until it begins to brown. Stir in the onion and carrots. Then add in all of the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat as low as you can. Simmer for two hours. Remove from heat.

Optional: Once sufficiently cooled, remove the beef and cut into bite sized pieces. By cutting the beef after it's cooked, you'll get the chewier seared crust and the soft interior of the meat in every bite.




No comments:

Post a Comment