British Inspired Potato and Cabbage Saute


I bought cabbage this week with the intention of making stuffed cabbage, but when it came time to cook it tonight, I didn't have the patience to make it. Instead I started grabbing random items from the fridge to go with the cabbage. I opted for an onion, because well, onions make everything taste better in my book; a few potatoes that were lurking in the back of the fridge from last week's potato leek soup; and some swiss cheese leftover from making grilled cheese. The potatoes and cabbage combination made me think of simple British meals. I knew I wanted to cut the ingredients thinly so they would cook quickly, but beyond that, the veggies kind of did their own thing and turned into a delicious meal I would intentionally make in the future. Merle also loved it making this recipe toddler approved. To make it even better, this recipe used inexpensive ingredients, so it cost less than $2 to make four servings.




Potato and Cabbage Saute
Serves 4

3 large white potatoes, thinly sliced
1 yellow onion, sliced
1/2 head cabbage, thinly sliced
3 slices swiss cheese
2 Tbsp butter
salt and pepper

In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Stir in the onion and cook for one minute. Layer the potatoes on top. This helps lock in the heat and moisture of the onions, effectively steaming the onions and underside of the potatoes. Let cook for five minutes. The onions will become very fragrant at this point. Stir together the potatoes and onions together and cook for an additional five minutes. Layer on the cabbage. Cook for two minutes then stir. Cook for another few minutes, stirring frequently, until the cabbage is completely softened. Tear the cheese into small bite sized pieces over top the potato cabbage mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Stir to combine.

This is tasty as is, but I added hot sauce at the end to add the vinegar flavor and heat. I also served it alongside vegan chicken tofu for protein. Yum!







No comments:

Post a Comment