Sweet and Sour Pickles



Whether it's because the hubs is from China or just because I love the flavor, we  pickle veggies a lot in our household. I usually go for carrots, daikon, and ginger because they go so well with Asian noodles (I use either this recipe or this one, depending on my patience level). Oddly enough I've struggled making the standard cucumber pickles. Every recipe I've tried results in either soggy or flavorless pickles. That is, until now. 

In this week's CSA box (more on this in another post), a half dozen pickling cucumbers arrived. I was hesitant to try my hand at pickles again, so we ate most of them like regular cucumbers. By the weekend, there were still a couple cukes hanging out in the fridge so I decided to give it another go. This time it worked! I don't know if it was because pickling cucumbers were used or because the ingredients were heated, but whatever the reason may be, these pickles were crispy and delicious. I adapted this from an Alton Brown recipe and next time I'd like to try it sans sugar with dill. 

Sweet and Sour Pickles

1 medium pickling cucumber (or 2 small), thickly sliced
1/2 onion, roughly chopped
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
2 1/2 Tbsp salt

In a quart sized jar, combine the cucumbers and onion. Meanwhile bring the remaining ingredients to a rapid boil. Remove from heat and carefully pour the liquid over the onions and cucumbers. Allow the pickles to cool to room temperature uncovered. Refrigerate and consume within a week. 





No comments:

Post a Comment