Butter Coffee


Yes coffee and butter together in the same cup! I was first introduced to this concept by way of bio-hacking extraordinary Dave Asprey's Bulletproof Executive site. A full explanation of bio-hacking will be left for another post, but essentially it's the idea that by changing the way you eat, sleep, exercise, etc you can change your body chemistry and improve/erase your body woos. The modern reasoning behind drinking butter coffee is that a jolt of high quality fat in the morning boosts mental functioning and suppresses appetite. Parts of Singapore and Ethipia have been consuming butter with coffee since ancient times. While the claimed benefits are incredible, there isn't scientific evidence making a direct link between drinking butter coffee and said benefits. In my experience, I do feel more mentally alert with improved cognitive functioning (versus regular coffee), but the appetite suppression only lasts an hour or so. I use high quality coffee grounds to make the coffee and blend it in a Magic Bullet with about a half tablespoon of grass-fed butter (Kerrygold brand is what I like to use) per cup. The mixture is creamy, frothy, and most importantly delicious. I drink one cup in the morning during the weekends and while I can't promise the health benefits, it's worth a taste to see how your own body reacts.

Have you heard of butter coffee before? Would you try it? If you do, let me know!










No comments:

Post a Comment