Toaster Strudel Redo



I love breakfast foods of all sorts (minus the meat varieties), but one of my favorites is the toaster strudel. You know, the Pillsbury kind with a flaky crust and sugar laden fruit filling that gets dosed with a healthy drizzle of icing post toaster oven heating. I rarely eat them, but when I do, it feels like breakfast bliss and I'm immediately transported to my younger years watching the toaster strudel commercial where the quintessential American feels eats breakfast together, complete with orange juice and sides of fruit. As an adult, I make a homemade version for special occasions (details here), but today I concocted a dessert version that has the icing taking center stage and swaps jam for fresh fruit.

Toaster Strudel Cake
8oz Neufchâtel cheese, soften (cream cheese would work too)
1/4 cup Powdered sugar
1 tsp Milk
1 sheet Puff pastry, thawed
Fresh fruit

Spread the puff pastry sheet out on a lightly greased baking sheet. Gently poke the pastry with a fork all over to create air holes. Bake the puff pastry according to package instructions. Meanwhile, combine the Neufchâtel cheese, powdered sugar, and milk until smooth (it came together easier enough stirring with a wooden spoon, but an electric mixer would also get the job done). Once the puff pastry is done baking, allow it to cool to room temperature before spreading the icing on. Top with fresh fruit. This tastes best when eaten immediately, but it can also hang out in the fridge over night if needed.





No comments:

Post a Comment