DIY Floor Pouf



I've been obsessed with floor poufs since I first saw this silver one on oh joy! I love how versatile they are, serving as extra seating, a foot rest, or a table when needed. The only problem is they are ridiculously expensive ($195 for the one I liked). I'm a novice sewer, so I didn't think I could match the patterned detail on the pouf, but I knew enough to make a simple cube. Also I didn't want to buy more than a yard of fabric, so I used those dimensions to constrain the potential size, although you could make it as big as you want. I ended up deciding on 21" for the length and width and 12" for the height. For this size with the fabric and filling I used, the pouf cost less than $25! After selecting the size, here's how the rest of the process went. 

Supplies
1 yard of fabric (I loved this one)
Sharp scissors (These cut through anything)
Sewing machine and thread (I've been really happy with this one)
Bean bag filling (I used this as a cost efficient option)

Instructions 
Lay down the fabric face down. You will need a top and bottom of matching size (in this case 21" by 21") and four identical pieces for the sides. The sides will need to be the same length as the top and bottom pieces, but the width can be what you want (in this case 21" by 12"). Use a ruler to measure out all of the pieces needed and mark with chalk. To make things easier, I measured out the top and bottom pieces on top of each other and then measured the sides immediately next to them, with two stacked on top of each other. 




Once you have all the pieces marked out, carefully cut out each shape. Take the side pieces that shared the same edge with the large squares and lay them over their respective match with the printed sides of the fabric facing inward. Sew a straight line down the edge of where the two shapes meet. Yes this is where you find out I'm not a precise sewer. If I was, I would say how far inward to sew or how far apart the stitches should be. Or that the fabric should be ironed and the edges should be pinned before sewing. But I didn't do any of that stuff and while my piece isn't perfect, it's good enough for me without the extra steps :)



With one of the large squares, repeat this step, matching up the remaining two side pieces with one of the large squares. 


Before sewing, the printed sides of the fabric will need to face inward. 


This it what it looks like after all the sides are attached.
Begin stitching the side pieces together as shown below. Continue doing so until all the side pieces are attached to their neighboring sides.



Then attach the second top piece to the sides (three in total since it will already be attached to one). On the third side, leaving at least a four inch opening. Flip the fabric shell right side out by pulling the material through the opening. Once right side out, fill with the desired stuffing. I used bean bag filling. Sew the opening closed by hand.



And that's it! Don't be intimidated by this project. It is all straight-line sewing and it's pretty forgiving when your lines aren't particularly straight or if your seam allowances vary. Have questions? Comment below. 


No comments:

Post a Comment