Thank You Strangers?



My parents live in the suburbs so we often take the train to visit them. During these trips, Merle and I see a menagerie of people: the good, the bad, and the ugly (in more ways than one). But it's surprising how kind and helpful many people are to complete strangers. Most recently, we took an early morning train that was jampacked with commuters. That meant standing room only and I was ready for a forty minute ride of holding Merle and a few bags. I felt a light tap on my shoulder and as I turned around I expected to see someone who wanted to squeeze through the mass of bodies at the front of the train car. Instead it was a gentleman who got out of his seat so Merle and I could sit down. I said thank you, but it didn't feel like enough. It saved my arms/back/hips from strain and gave Merle space to stretch out, not to mention reducing the stress of the trip. 

This wasn't the first time something like this has happened during one of our trips and a thank you in passing never feels like enough. I often consider keeping a few thank you notes on hand in the diaper bag for when people go out of their way to help us. Is that weird? It could be something simple like a blank thank card to be filled in or something more elaborate like the cute Starbucks card above. What do you think? Has there been a time when a stranger helped you out?

2 comments:

  1. I think this is such a thoughtful and wonderful idea! The world needs more of these simple actions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel! I think I'm going to start doing it...

      Delete