Houseplants for a Healthly Home



If you follow my Pintrest, you may have noticed that my latest obsession is with air purifying plants. I love living in a city, but I sometimes worry about the air quality for Merle. According to NASA, certain houseplants can remove toxins produced by household goods and chemical cleaners. Here are a few of my favorite ones I've added to our apartment.

English Ivy: Identified as the number one best air purifying plant by NASA, the English ivy absorbs formaldehyde in the air released by pressed woods and other common household items. It only requires moderate sun.


Peace Lily: One of the most beautiful house plants in my opinion. As an added bonus they do best in the shade making it easy to find a location that they fit. They reduce a number of toxins in the air, like acetone, ammonia, benzene, ethyl acetate, formaldehyde, methyl alcohol, trichloroethylene and xylene


Snake plant: These plants don't need much sun or water making them easy to care for even when you have a less than green thumb like me. At night they absorb carbon dioxide and produce fresh oxygen. Don't place these next to fruit otherwise you'll over ripen your food quickly (my bananas learned this the hard way). Unlike many of the other  air purifying house plants, the snake plant grows up, not out, requiring less counter space.


Aloe Vera: In addition to its cooling gel that heals cuts and scrapes, it also removes formaldehyde and benzene from the air. 


Other air purifying plants that may be of interest: bamboo, spider plant, and pothos.

1 comment:

  1. According to NASA, certain houseplants can remove toxins produced by household goods and chemical cleaners. fertomid 50mg

    ReplyDelete