Asian Inspired Broccoli Slaw Salad



My conversion to eating meat has been slow going, so I continue to eat a predominantly vegetarian diet as I have for the past sixteen years.  It's always been a struggle to come up with lunch ideas that are filling, protein rich and easy to transport. My go-tos are black bean and sweet potato burritos, veggie burgers, and bean spread sandwiches with crispy veggies. Last week I strayed from the norm and was deliciously rewarded. 

I made an Asian broccoli slaw salad with sesame ginger marinated tofu, which for me was the perfect salad with a variety of textures and distinct flavors. Broccoli slaw offers a more nutritiously dense base to salads and I prefer it's crunch to the sometimes slimy texture of wet lettuce. It still has a relatively neutral taste, which allows just about any flavor to be layered with it. Tofu was a natural choice for protein because it offers a contrasting texture and soaks up flavor. I also added in crasians and pumpkin seeds for additional flavor notes and because I happened to have them on hand. I was able to pack up the component parts at night and mix it together at lunchtime to keep the crunch factor intact. This one was a lunch time winner and definitely something I will be using another week trying various flavor combinations. Here's the loose recipe. 

Sesame Ginger Tofu 

1/5 Block of Extra Firm Tofu, Cubed
1/2 tsp Ginger
1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
1/4 tsp Chili Powder
1/2 tsp Sesame Seeds
1/2 tsp Toasted Sesame Oil
1 tsp Vinegar of Choice
1 Tbsp Soy Sauce
1 Tbsp Olive Oil 

In a storage container, mix together all of the ingredients except the tofu. Once the marinade is well mixed, add in the tofu and stir. Refrigerate overnight.  


Broccoli Slaw Salad 

Packaged Broccoli Slaw
Craisans 
Pumpkin Seeds
Lite Poppy Seed Dressing
Sesame Ginger Tofu 

If desired, warm the tofu. Then add in the remaining ingredients in the desired ratios. Stir well to combine and eat immediately.  To round out my lunch, I had strawberries, a multigrain roll, and yogurt. Are there any new meals you've been trying out for lunch? Happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment