Popsicles for Breakfast

Banana popsicle for breakfast: a healthy treat

If you live in the greater Philadelphia area, you know summer is upon us after today's nearly ninety degree weather. The balmy temperatures often have me rethinking meals, because my go-to hot and carby concoctions just don't cut it. By mid-summer each year, my pasta buffets are swapped for all-you-can-eat salads. My breakfast routines usually don't change much though. I have trouble finding things that come together quickly and can be eaten during the daily ten minute run to work (one of the joys of city living). Bagels with protein rich toppings and fruit or veggie filled wraps make up my weekday breakfast menu, but I am ready to make a change. 

I fell in love with the idea of making bananas rolls sprinkled with cereal after seeing this post on Pintrest. The only problem with these banana rolls was that they were messy to make and not easy to eat on the go. I bought the ingredients to make a similar version with yogurt, but just couldn't find the time in the morning to make and eat them. 

The ingredients: bananas, yogurt, and cereal

Then it hit me. Why not make them all at once for the week, freeze them, and then eat them as popsicles for breakfast?! I made them last night and let me tell you they are delicious. Even as an adult it made me giddy to eat something that is conceptually a dessert for breakfast. With only three ingredients (a banana, yogurt, and cereal), banana breakfast popsicles are quick and easy to both make and eat when assembled ahead of time. Depending on ingredient choices, it is also a healthy breakfast. I rolled my bananas in plain Greek yogurt and Kashi GoLean cereal, but you could use any flavor yogurt and cereal. My inner child is screaming for the use of Cinnamon Toast Crunch and Flintstones Fruity Pebbles.  Yum! As you can see in the pictures, I didn't have popsicle sticks on hand, so I stuck a fork in today's banana instead. It functioned the same.  I've drafted the recipe below, but really no recipe is needed. Spread the yogurt, sprinkle the cereal on top, and pop it the freezer for an easy, healthy breakfast!

Popsicles in progress

Banana Breakfast Popsicle


Makes 1 Popsicle 

1  banana
1/4 cup yogurt of choice (I used plain Fage Total)
1/4 cup cereal (I used Kashi GoLean)
1 popsicle stick

Peel the banana and insert the popsicle stick in one end. Hold it while you spread the yogurt on the half of the banana facing up (I used a spoon to do this, but a silicon spatula would be best). Sprinkle on half of the cereal. Lay the covered side of the banana face down in a freezer safe container. Repeat the process with the remaining half of the banana. Close the container and freeze overnight. 

The finished product (x3)

That's it! I hope you enjoy it and that it helps keep you cool. It's 10 o'clock at night and still in the mid-eighties here. I'm resisting the urge to break into the freezer to eat one of these puppies now...



No comments:

Post a Comment