Saving Money on Peanut-free Speads


I store mine in a mason jar or use recycled jars from times I purchased sunflowerseed butter in a store.

I try to save money by making as much as I can from scratch each week. If I buy a product regularly, I try to make it at home at least once in order to gauge whether the monetary savings is worth the time savings. Some times it's just not worth the headache. Fortunately making sunflower seed butter is not one of those things.

Merle has a peanut allergy and after trying a few different alternative nut and seed butters, sunflower seed butter became my favorite. Sunflower seed butter not only tastes delicious, it is rich in Vitamin E, magnesium, zinc, iron, B vitamins and healthy fats. It is also said to contain cancer fighting nutrients and regular consumption is said to reduce cholesterol and the risk of heart disease. Take that peanut butter. Sunbutter, as its sometimes referred to as, ranges from $6 to $10+ per 16oz jar, which lasts me a week. Yikes!

After weeks and months of shelling out for the pricey spread, I decided to try making it at home. My only regret is that I didn't start doing it sooner. All it requires is the seeds, a couple of pantry staples, plus a few minutes with a food processer and I reduce my grocery bill by $6 a week ($8 is the cost of my favorite brand, Once Again, minus of the $2 cost of the sunflower seeds). Mommy-1, Grocery store-0. Win! Here is the recipe (more like loose framework) I used to make the butter.

Sunflower Seed Butter
Makes 16oz

1 - 16oz bag salted roasted sunflower seeds*
1 Tbsp oil of choice**
3 Tbsp Flaxseed powder***

Add the sunflower seeds to a food processer. Allow to spin for approximately two minutes, or until the seeds became a fine powder. Add the remaining ingredients. Spin for another two to three minute, until the desired consistency is achieved. You can also add more oil if you want the butter to be creamier.

That's it! How simple? That is a $6 savings well spent.

*If you're watching your salt intake, buy unsalted to control how much goes in. You don't have to buy the seeds preroasted, but roasting brings out the flavor, so you will need to roast them yourself.
**Use whatever type of oil you prefer. I have used both coconut oil and canola oil.
***This ingredient is optional. It adds a unique flavor and increases the nutrition profile of the spread. If you like a sweeter butter, you could add vanilla and a sweetener. You could also add spices like cinnamon for more depth of flavor.

The spread in process: it has a chunky consistency at first.


The recipe fills a 16oz jar to the brim.


The consistency at the end is just right. Yumm.

No comments:

Post a Comment