On Being A Grown Up

It is nearly two years since college ended and I think I'm finally coming to terms with becoming an adult. Graduation came and went and a year later I became a mom, but I couldn't shake the feeling that I was a kid playing a grown ups part. I felt the same way I always had despite what momentous life events indicated I should be feeling. What really makes an adult, an adult anyway?

What I realized is being an adult means taking complete ownership of who you are and all of your actions and reactions. It is nothing groundbreaking, but it is certainly easier said then done. We are all a product of our genetics and environment to varying degrees. A reason (read:excuse) can quickly be found to justify nearly every bit of meanness and bad behavior in daily life. I often found myself blaming my parents explosive relationship and less than stellar childhood when my actions didn't sit right with my conscious. This knee jerk reaction seems benign enough, but it comes with a hefty price tag as I was slowly disenfranchised and my power to control my own actions diminished. At least I thought it was diminishing.

In reality I was the one doing those acts, not my parents or any other external source of blame. I could excuse away everything, but I had to live with the consequences of my actions no matter what the excuse. While you are a product of your surroundings, only you can affect who you are today and what the rest of your life will hold. If you're ready, hit the road to adulthood and take ownership of your actions, for better or worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment