Homemade Omega-3 Snack Bars

No time for a plate. I wanted this in my belly as fast as possible.

Ever since I was pregnant, I've been obsessed with making sure I get enough omega 3s. At the time I wasn't eating fish and constantly sought out new plant based sources of fatty acids. When I found this recipe for homemade granola bars, I knew I could easily layer in some of my favorite omega-3 sources to take the nutritional content to the next level. The additional ingredients also gave an extra crunch, which is always a good thing for snackaholics like me. Make your body sing and your taste buds dance by whipping up a batch of these healthy granola bars.

 Ingredients:

1 Cup Shredded Coconut
1 Large Banana (Extra Ripe)
1 Cup Whole Grain Oats
1/2 Cup Flax Seed Powder
1/4 Cup Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk
2 Tbsp Dark Chocolate Chips
1/2 cup Pepitas (aka pumpkin seeds)
2 Tbsp Chia seeds

Combine all ingredients except milk and chocolate chips and stir well. Add almond milk slowly (by thirds) and stir until evenly mixed. Preheat oven to 350. Grease a baking pan with desired oil or butter. Pour granola mixture into  pan and spread out until even.Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the mixture and light press down. Bake 11-13 minutes or until the edges are begin to brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool for several minutes. Cut into 12 rectangles. Allow to cool completely and freeze to store.


Fresh out of the oven...

Look at all those yummy and nutritious layers!

These require quite a few ingredients, but use only a small fraction of each item. You can save the leftover ingredients for other recipes or you can use all the ingredients at once to make a couple of months worth of granola bars. This recipe can easily be customized to create different flavors so you don't have dozens of the exact same bar. Any dried fruit would be a tasty addition. I'm thinking I'll include dried cherries or craisans next time....yum. Happy snacking!

No comments:

Post a Comment