Liquid Calories

Saturday morning's breakfast

I have a few quirks. Well a lot of them actually. One of them is that I periodically find eating too labor intensive and prefer to drink my meals. I love cooking, but for whatever reason, the act of eating and chewing sometimes seems like too much effort. Random, I know. Luckily these periods don't last long, usually only a few days at a time, but I have become an expert at creating filling liquid meals.

Smoothies are an obvious solution, but the filling ones have yogurt in them. Instead of using a dairy based filler, I use oatmeal to make smoothies more satisfying (think fiber and whole grains) and it lends a surprisingly creamy flavor. For the liquid, I use vanilla almond milk, which is low in fat and has a high concentration of vitamins and minerals. With the exception of some melons, I love all fruit, but my go to smoothie combo is blueberry-banana-strawberry. Fresh or frozen, I don't think it matters much, although I tend to have frozen berries and fresh bananas. Here is my general smoothie recipe and it can be customized to suit whatever you have on hand. Happy slurping!


Banana Berry Smoothie

Serves 1

1/3 cup Oatmeal
2/3 cup Vanilla Almond milk
1 Banana
1/4 cup Frozen Blueberries
1/3 cup Strawberries

Place all ingredients in a blender. Blend until smooth. Serve and drink immediately.

In the cold winter months, I like to pair my icy smoothies with a cup of hot tea, like this rose leaf tea. 

No comments:

Post a Comment