Guest Post: Tropical Truffles for Valentine's Day

Valentine's Day is only a few days away. Looking for an easy, yet decadent dessert to make for your sweetie? My dear friend Laura, a baking and dessert expert, shares her recipe for Tropical Truffles...



Hi, everyone! I'm Laura, and I was fortunate enough to become friends with Megan during college. I was really excited (and a little nervous!) when she asked me to write a guest post on her awesome blog. Although I do not possess her expertise when it comes to cute home decor or healthy cooking, I do know a thing or two about making dessert, so I figured I could bring that to the table (pun definitely intended). 

In the spirit of Valentine's Day, I wanted to give you all a snazzy chocolate recipe. V-Day and chocolate go hand in hand. It's basically been that way since the beginning of time. However, there's no need to spend a fortune on a fancy heart-shaped box of Godivas for your valentine. Because guess what? You can make your very own delightful, delectable dark chocolate truffles at home, with only a couple of ingredients and a mixing bowl. They're so easy, I almost feel guilty about it (but not so guilty that I haven't already helped myself to a couple while writing this). And, as a bonus, they're totally dairy-free because they're made with agave nectar and cocoa powder instead of melted chocolate and cream! Since I find myself surrounded by friends and relatives who avoid dairy for a variety of health and personal reasons, I am always super-pumped to whip up a treat that I actually can share with them.

So, without further ado, I present to you these rich, decadent Tropical Truffles. Based on the easy chocolate truffles found here, they get their name from the splash of rum and coconut coating I added, which give them a welcome beachy vibe. You're going to need:

-1 1/2 cups high quality unsweetened cocoa powder (I used Ghiradelli natural unsweetened premium baking cocoa)
-1 1/4 cup agave nectar (I used Domino blue agave)
- A pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoons of rum (I used Captain Morgan, but I imagine any kind of darker rum will do. And, of course, you could add more alcohol or omit it entirely, depending on your personal tastes.)
-A couple handfuls of sweetened flaked coconut

Got that covered? Good! Now here's what you do:

1. Mix the cocoa powder, agave nectar, salt and rum in a bowl until everything is nice and combined.
2. Put the bowl in the fridge for half an hour.
3. Line a cake pan or cookie sheet with parchment paper.
4. Take the bowl out of the fridge and use a spoon or small ice cream scoop to shape the chocolate into balls, and place the balls on the parchment-lined pan or cookie sheet. For me, this recipe yielded about 15 truffles. 
5. Put the pan in the freezer for an hour.
7. Take the pan out of the freezer and sprinkle the coconut over the truffles, pressing the flakes into each one to give them a good coating.
8. Put the pan back in the freezer for a couple of hours or overnight, so that the truffles become more firm.
9. Enjoy!

That's all! Can you believe it? 

One of the greatest things about truffles is that they are endlessly customizable. Don't like rum? Try a couple spoonfuls of raspberry/organge/coffee/cream liquer, amaretto or whiskey instead! Not a coconut person? Roll your truffles in chopped nuts or extra cocoa powder! It's up to you.

Wishing you a sweet day!  

No comments:

Post a Comment