Green Comfort Food



Carbs have always been my 'thing.' Potatoes, pasta, and bread are staples in my diet and take up well over half of my daily calorie intake. Even if I have eaten a lot in a meal, if I didn't have a complimenting carb, I don't feel full. That being said, I am also concerned with healthy eating so I do eat more than just starches, even if sometimes I wish all I ate was bread and pasta. For the days when I want something carb rich but don't want to eat too unhealthy, I make this easy green pasta dish.

Green Comfort

1 bouillon cube (I use vegetable)
1 1/2 cups uncooked pasta
1/2 onion, diced
1 cup frozen spinach
1 cup frozen peas
1 Tbsp olive oil or butter

Cook pasta according to package instructions. Meanwhile in a skillet over medium heat, add the oil or butter and the onion. Cook until the onion begins to soften, stirring often, 3 to 5 minutes. Add in the bouillon cube and while stirring, slowly add water from the pasta, 1 tablespoon at a time, until the cube dissolves. Once the liquid in the pan reduces by about half, add the frozen spinach and stir occasionally until it is heated through. Drain the pasta and toss with the sauce in the skillet. Remove from heat and mix in the frozen peas.

This meal manages to meet all my requirements. It's easy, inexpensive, uses ingredients I always have on hand, and can be ready in less than 15 minutes. It is also full of vitamins and minerals, but is grounded in carb rich pasta. What more can a girl ask for?





No comments:

Post a Comment