Holiday Nails

Neutral nails with a glitter accent

Prior to my pregnancy, I loved finding new ways of painting my nails. I didn't want to expose my daughter to the chemicals in utero so I had to stop doing my nails. Since her birth, free time has been nonexistent, but with Thanksgiving days away, I decided to take a few minutes to paint my nails for the first time in months. I managed to get my toes and one hand done before needing to be back on baby duty.

For the cooler seasons, I like to use neutrals colors on my nails, instead of the wide range I use during the warmer weather. Today I went with my favorite camel color, 'latte' by Gap (yes the Gap does sell nail polish). Wanting to make them a little extra special, I decided to add a fade to gold glitter on the tips using 'sparkle,' also by Gap, after being inspired by some nail art on Pintrest.

To achieve this effect, start by painting your nails like you usually would using two coats of your chosen base shade. Going one nail at a time, paint a line of glitter polish across the tip as if you were doing a French manicure. Immediately afterwards, wipe any excess polish off the brush and then drag the glitter from the tip to midway down the nail using the brush. The density of the glitter will naturally decrease as you move down the nail. To finish it off , add a clear top coat.

It may seem like a long process, but it ends up being quick and easy. A trick to keep it that way is to use thin layers of polish, so you don't have to wait in between coats for drying. Not sure if you'll like how it turns out? Test it on an extra set of nails. When I'm trying out a new technique for the first time, I attempt it on my toenails first. The big toe has a larger canvas and if you mess up and don't have time to redo your nails, you can hide them in shoes as long as you need to. So if you're looking for an easy way to add a little spice to your nails this holiday season, give this method a try.


No comments:

Post a Comment