Happy Halloween!

Halloween is one of those holidays that I almost always celebrate but don't actually like. Horror movies scare me, costumes are expensive, and I lack a sweet tooth. Plus the fact that I have watched way too much Law and Order: SVU makes me more than hesitant about knocking on strangers' doors.

It is Merle's first Halloween so I dressed her up as a Chinese empress in an outfit that my step dad bought her in China, but I am uncertain as to whether or not I would dress her up again. I dress up each year more out of tradition than anything else and if I don't raise Merle with that tradition, then maybe she won't have an interest in the holiday and its traditions either. My partner didn't celebrate Halloween growing up in China and seems indifferent to the holiday. I also wonder if not celebrating it will single out my daughter as one of the weird kids once she goes to grade school. I would not want that. What we will do in subsequent years remains to be seen, but for now I have a few ideas for candy alternatives to give trick or treaters that would make the sugar high holiday a little more healthy.

-Nuts and Seeds in individual packs, such as almonds and pumpkin seeds

-Granola Bars

-Trail Mix in individual packs

-Clementines

-Pretzels

-Popcorn balls

-Honey straws

-100% juice fruit snacks

-Fruit leather

Have a safe and healthy Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment