Get ready in One Minute (or Five or Ten)


I. Love. Sleep. I've never been very good at taking naps though, so my daily amount of shuteye is limited to what happens at night. Because of this, I do everything in my power to extend it. In college I had getting ready for class down to a science, needing to wake up only minutes before leaving for class and I continue to put those skills to good use as a new mom. I have paired my beauty routine down into a 1-minute routine for when I have absolutely no time, a 5-minute routine for when I need to look more put together, and a 10-minute routine for nighttime events. Most days I simply go for the 1-minute routine to maximize sleep and minimize fussing from the baby. Taking this little bit of time for myself makes a huge difference in my outlook each day and helps me feel fresh, even if I feel anything but that.





Bobbi Brown Eyelash Curler; Laura Mercier Mineral Foundation Primer; Blistex Medicated Lip Balm


1. Moisturizing is key in making your skin look tight and bright for a new day. I apply a dime-sized amount of Laura Mercier’s mineral foundation primer all over my face and neck. It makes my face feel baby soft and look luminescent, even if I don’t have the time to layer foundation over it. For a more budget friendly option, Neutrogena's Visibly Even lotion also works, but it doesn't leave your skin feeling as soft.

2. Let’s face it; sometimes it is impossible to get enough beauty sleep. An eyelash curler is my secret weapon to get my eyes looking like I had a full night of sleep no matter how few hours (or minutes) I actually got. I curl my lashes for ten seconds and then hello bright eyes! The curler shown here is the middle of the road in terms of quality, but I have found very little difference between the pricey models and the cheaper drug store versions. I’m currently using one I bought at CVS for just a few dollars.

3. Moisture is just as important on your lips as it is on the rest of your face. I swear by Blistex’s Medicated Lip Balm. It moisturizes and softens even the driest lips and leaves a delicate sheen, without leaving a sticky residue behind.




barMinerals Matte Foundation and Flawless Application Face Brush; Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage; Maybelline Mega Plush; Laura Mercier Kohl Eye Pencil; Chanel Tweed Effect Blush


1. I always start out with the steps in my 1-minute routine, but some days demand a little more polish in my appearance and I go from most important steps to least important steps, just in case I have to stop getting ready at any point to attend to someone or something else. For me, concealer comes first for life’s little blemishes that like to appear at the worst possible times. I use a clean finger to apply Laura Mercier’s Secret Camouflage in No. 2 because my body heat softens up the product, allowing it to blend well and not look cakey while still providing coverage. 

2. I have to admit I’ve never been crazy about wearing a ton of make-up, but hey a girl has to look good, so I’ve found bareMinerals Matte powder foundation to be the perfect compromise. It makes my skin look airbrushed, but feels as if I have no make-up on at all. I’ve used other brands of mineral make-up, but bareMinerals is hands down the best on the market. I use their Flawless Application Face Brush to apply it.

3. Using the same brush I applied foundation with, I apply a quick swirl of Chanel’s Tweed Effect Blush in Tweed Corail from the apple of my cheeks to my temples in a C-shaped motion. This blush is great because it has multiple pigments in it, leaving you with a natural looking rosy glow instead of a flat color block. It seems trivial, but using the same brush from the foundation application saves time and the small amount of leftover blush adds a touch of warmth to your entire face. (Note: The shade Tweed Corail is no longer available, but they have several other great shades in the Tweed Effect Blush.)

4. For me eyeliner application takes the most time. I like to do a thin swipe of Laura Mercier’s Kohl Eye Pencil in Brown Copper. If it ends of being a little too thick, I take a cotton swab from the inner corner of my eye to the outer corner and smudge the line to give it a softer look. My eyes are hazel and the Brown Copper color highlights the flecks of green and light brown in my irises beautifully, but this magic shade also works wonders on my brown and blue-eyed friends, taking on a different hue for each of us.

5. The final step is a sweep of mascara, wiggling the applicator brush from the base of the lashes to the tips. I’ve never found mascara that I’m completely in love with, so I find myself using whatever the latest and greatest is at the drugstore. Right now I’m using Maybelline’s Mega Plush mascara in Blackest Black and it gets the job done.




bareMinerals Warmth All-Over Face Color; Estee Lauder Pure Color Five Color EyeShadow Palette; Maybelline Mega Plush; Laura Mercier Kohl Eye Pencil


1. When I need to be completely made up, which almost never happens these days, it tends to be at night and I already have my fresh face look from the day. I do a once over to make sure things still look good, adding an additional layer of foundation or concealer as needed. I also add a layer of bronzer to add more color and definition to my cheeks. bareMinerals Warmth All-Over Face Color works wonders, but be careful not to apply it too heavily.

2. Eye shadow also creates dimension for a more glamorous look. I like to do a lighter shade all over the lid with a darker shade in the crease. The exact colors I use each time vary, but they’re all on this palette in Desert Heat by Estee Lauder. After the eye shadow, on my lower lash line I add a thin swipe of the eyeliner I used earlier in the day.

3. Finally I add an extra coat of mascara to the corner lashes, giving them a flirtatious curl. Depending on the brand of mascara, you may need to add more than one coat here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment