Chocolate Banana Vegan Dream



Prior to finding out about my daughter’s allergy to dairy, I ate copious amounts of cheese, butter, and other creamy treats. Now that I can’t eat milk-based products, at least until I stop nursing, and the cravings continue, I discovered allergy free ways to get my creamy fix. Earth Balance spread is a near perfect vegan alternative to butter and nutritional yeast can add a cheesy flavor to recipes. Concocting dairy free desserts has been the most fun and one of my favorite recipes is a nutty chocolate banana ice cream that can easily be turned into a milkshake with the addition of more liquid. This recipe evolved from one of my many bouts of indecision. I bought more bananas than I could eat and the leftovers were starting to brown before I could figure out what I wanted to make with them. To prevent them from attracting bugs, I put the bananas in the freezer, not knowing what would happen. The peels turned black but the interiors froze and remained perfectly ripe. One day I started to make a protein shake with one of the frozen bananas, only to find out that I was out of protein powder and had less than a cup of almond milk. Because the sliced banana was already in the blender, I decided to go full steam ahead, creating a dessert instead. It was creamy and delicious and has become an after dinner staple for me. As an added bonus, it is much healthier than ice cream. Here is the recipe. Enjoy!

Chocolate Banana Vegan Dream

Serves 1

2 frozen bananas, sliced
½ Tbsp carob powder
½ Tbsp agave nectar
½ cup vanilla almond milk (or 1 cup for a milkshake version)

Put all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.

No comments:

Post a Comment