Autumn Apple Oatmeal

A warm, hearty morning meal to kick start the day



Breakfast is by far my favorite meal of the day and as temperatures dip, a warm, hearty morning meal to kick start the day is exactly what I need. I am one of those people that needs to eat right away in the morning otherwise I become, as my partner has so aptly named, Megalasaurus, Megan in dinosaur form. That means I only cook things that can be made quickly while my coffee or tea is brewing. Oatmeal fits the bill perfectly and as a bonus, is budget friendly. I purchase the largest container of store brand old-fashioned oats I can find, which at our store is 42 ounces for $2.99, or ten cents per serving. Oatmeal by itself is not very flavorful so while the oats cook in the microwave, I fish around the fridge for toppings, each day creating something different, but today’s creation is definitely going on the repeat list. In less than ten minutes, I made autumn apple oatmeal and every delicious bite screamed fall to me. I hope you enjoy this as much as I did!


Autumn Apple Oatmeal

Serves 2

1cup Old-fashioned oats
1 ¾ cup Water
Pinch of Salt

1 Tbsp Earth Balance (or butter)
1 Apple, diced
½ Tbsp Cinnamon
1 Tbsp Agave nectar

Slivered almonds for garnish
Real maple syrup for garnish

Place the oats, water, and salt in a glass dish and microwave for 3 minutes or according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a skillet over medium-high heat, melt the Earth Balance. Add in the diced apple, stirring to coat the pieces evenly. Allow the apples to soften slightly, approximately 1 minute, and then add in the cinnamon and agave nectar. Stir well and continue heating until the agave nectar starts to bubble, approximately 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir the mixture in with the oatmeal. The oatmeal is now ready to serve. Slivered almonds and real maple syrup can be added on top of each bowl as an added treat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment