Another blog...


Yup that’s right! Yet another person writing a blog. But this one is about me; you; us. I’m a relatively recent college grad who works full time and is a full time mom to my beautiful four-month-old daughter Merle. Like many other early twenty-somethings, I put my nose to the grind and work my butt off every single day of the week with the hope that someday I’ll ‘make it.’ Making it usually means having more money then we grew up with and being able to finally spend time and money on the things we really care about. But is that what really happens? We get so caught up in the daily grind and submitting ourselves to the demands of others that the prime of our lives passes us by without a second glance. Is some marginal financial improvement when we’re in our forties or fifties really worth being unhappy for so long? I used to think it was.

I was so exhausted by the day-to-day grind that I was too exhausted to even think about alternatives. Going back to work after the birth of my daughter made me see things in a different light. I hated my job pretty much since the day I started it, but I saw it as a short term stepping stone that would pay the bills while I looked for something I actually wanted to do. A year later I was still at that job with ever increasing bills, no opportunity for advancement, and a unhappiness from wasting 45 hours a week doing something I didn’t enjoy that begin seeping into every area of my life. Every day I worked was a step further away from what I really wanted to do with my life. It was even affecting my relationship with my partner and daughter, the two people I care about most, and that’s when I knew it was time for a change. Despite the financial implications, I decided to take some time away from work to focus on my daughter and re-center myself around the things that really matter to me.

Talking to friends at a similar stage in life, I realized I wasn’t alone. We take these jobs and make these commitments to things that are supposed to be stepping-stones to the futures we ultimately want, but we end up stepping further away from the lives we envisioned for ourselves and the fulfillment we seek. Now I am certainly not averse to hard work and in fact, I think most things that we want in life require hard work, but our hard work shouldn’t be thrown away on a path we never wanted. We should be investing our hard work in ourselves and the futures we desire. This blog is entitled MakingMe and will track my journey towards making the life I want for myself and for my family. Along the way I hope to share tips I have found to save time and money, be healthier, and live more beautifully. 

No comments:

Post a Comment